With so many different models and body styles to choose from, deciding on the right type of used vehicle can seem like an overwhelming task. Do you want a car, SUV, crossover, van or truck? Will you need a vehicle that seats lots of people or has a lot of cargo space? Are you concerned with having a vehicle that gets good gas mileage?
All of these questions need to be addressed before you’re ready to get a vehicle. So, how do you answer them? We’re here to help. Check out our guide for choosing the right vehicle for your lifestyle.
Should you get a used car?
If you are thinking about getting a used car, the first thing to think about is whether you want a 4 door sedan, which is very versatile and can be a good fit for small families or individuals; or if you want a 2 door coupe, which is good for individuals who mostly travel alone. Once you have given that some thought, consider the following:
- Both sedans and coupes tend to get good gas mileage compared to the larger vehicles on in this guide.
- Cars are best if you are looking to use the vehicle just for commuting or transporting a couple of passengers.
- Because of their relatively small size, cars are a good option if you live or drive a lot in urban areas or other places where parking is limited.
- The limited seating in cars makes them unsuited to transporting large families.
- If you are looking to haul more than a few groceries, a car might not be a good fit because of their limited cargo space.
- Some models are not very well suited to more challenging driving conditions like intense snow or rough rural roads.
Should you get a used SUV/ Crossover?
There are a number of vehicles that fall into this category, ranging from the smaller crossovers (like the Ford Escape) to the much larger SUVS (like the GMC Yukon). Depending on its size and configuration, an SUV or crossover can have 4-8 seats arranged in 2 or 3 rows.
- SUVs and crossovers can accomodate several passengers and have a lot of cargo space, particularly if they have seats that fold down, making them great vehicles for families.
- Because of their larger size, these vehicles have more leg room, making them more comfortable if you do a lot of long distance driving.
- As their name implies, sport utility vehicles can handle tougher driving conditions, like Great Lakes winters and rural roads.
- Some larger SUVs can haul things like trailers, the same way that a pickup does.
- While some smaller models of crossovers (like the Ford Escape or Honda CRV) get similar gas mileage to a sedan, many SUV’s, especially the larger models (like the Chevy Suburban or Nissan Armada), get poor gas mileage.
- If you live or drive a lot in urban areas, parking larger SUVs can be a bit of a challenge.
Should you get a used truck?
If you are looking for a tough vehicle that can do more than just get you from point A to point B, a truck might be a good option for you. You can get a truck with a smaller 2 door cab, an extended cab (2 doors and half doors to a back row of seats) or a large 4 door crew cab.
- If you need a vehicle to haul things for work or for recreational activities like camping, a truck is going to be your best option.
- A 4-wheel drive truck is a good choice if you plan on driving the vehicle off-road or in more extreme weather conditions.
- If the truck is not a crew or extended cab model, space is limited. It might not be the best vehicle if you are looking to to transport a large amount of people or things in the cab.
- Like the other large vehicles in this guide, trucks can be hard to handle and parking in crowded areas.
- Trucks are not known for having the best fuel efficiency. If you are going to be doing a lot of driving and you don’t need the hauling capacity of a truck, there are other vehicles that might be a better option.
Should you get a used van?
While there are large boxy vans that are used more by businesses that can be found at used car dealerships, we are going to stick to talking about minivans since they are much more common. Minivans usually have 3 rows of seats and can fit 6 – 8 passengers, depending on the style and configuration of the seats.
- Because they can comfortably carry several passengers and all of their stuff, minivans are good family vehicles. You can take the kids to sports practice or pick up the groceries and still have room.
- Minivans are good vehicles for family road trips. They give everyone room to spread out and ride comfortably.
- Some models have all-wheel drive, making them great for plowing through the snow to take the kids to school.
- Some models, especially if they are a bit older, are not as fuel efficient as other types of vehicles.
- If having a cool looking car is your #1 priority, a minivan might not be a good option since they are built more for function than style.
While it’s important to choose a vehicle that you like the look of, you also need to think about gas mileage, cargo space, required seating and where you live and drive. If you have thought about the right type of car for your needs and lifestyle and are ready to see some in person, set up an appointment to come check out our large selection of used cars, SUVS, trucks and vans.